Preparing for a family photo session:
What to wear:
It’s never easy to decide what to wear. ESPECIALLY when you are getting photographed. However, planning what to wear for your photo session can be very fun if you just follow a few simple guidelines. Finding a color scheme or at least a general theme is very important. While you don’t want everyone to be wearing the same exact outfit – it is more ascetically pleasing to coordinate everyone’s attire around a general theme or color scheme. For example, try to think of a color or pattern that you like and go from there. Keep in mind that it’s important to stay true to your family’s personalities because you want your family photos to capture your unique and beautiful family. And be sure that you and your family is comfortable in what they are wearing.
Items to bring along:
- baby wipes or tissues
- stain remover
- lip gloss or lip stick (if you are wearing make up)
- hair ties or bobby pins
- hair brush or comb
- If you are wearing heels, think about bringing some flats to rest your feet while walking
- snack for the little ones
For the little ones,
- extra clothes
- baby wipes
- snack and water/juice
- favorite toy or blanket
Things to avoid:
- wearing sunglasses
- getting too much sun before your shoot
- scheduling your session during your child’s nap time
- getting a last minute hair cut
- stressing the day of your shoot
- Make sure you talk to your children about your photo session and why it’s important to you. If children understand the importance of something they may be less likely to misbehave.
- Explain the importance of smiling and looking at the camera to your children so that they are already well aware of what to expect.
- Understand that it is okay if your children get bored or cranky and need to take a break during your session – the last thing you need to be doing is getting stressed out. Just relax and let the photo session flow naturally.
- Let the photographer give direction. If you are focusing on telling everyone to smile, wiping faces and fixing posture then you are not looking and the camera and posing. The last thing you want is a photograph that all of the children are smiling in while you aren’t looking at the camera. Photoshop can always fix errors but it’s much better to get it right in camera.
- Most importantly give your children a reason to be excited about getting their picture taken. Photo sessions can be boring but there are ways to make them more fun for children. Tell them to say something funny or personal in place of “cheese”
If you have any ideas or poses that you have drawn inspiration from the feel free to share these ideas with Hinson Photography. Getting a glimpse of your style and what you plan to wear helps us get to know more about you and makes it easier for us to produce work that it more unique to your family. You can contact us here to discuss more details about your session!
Hinson Photography is located in beautiful New Smyrna Beach and there are plenty of great locations to choose from. Daytona Beach photography offers a wide range of stunning outdoor backdrops to choose from. Choosing a location is importance because you want to make sure you are thinking about an area that photographs well as well as a location that you and your family enjoy.